About Me

My photo
I'm a woman who tries to see the positive in even the most difficult situations. I find joy in bringing happiness to others around me.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Trying to draw people to your product?

When you are trying to promote a product or survey people as to why they use a particular product, you need to remember that you are dealing with people who have genuine feelings & emotions & reasons for using certain products. You need to approach the subject of why they choose one product over a similar other product with compassion, understanding & a genuine desire to learn more about the consumer.  You should always ask your questions carefully & make sure you are not condescending or confrontational while talking with a consumer.  People will immediately put their guard up if they feel they are being attacked by you in the survey process.  You then run the risk of losing a potential new customer simply because you made them angry or you made them feel inferior or less than intelligent because they use a certain brand over another.  I had a person survey me about why I drank a certain beverage over another.  The conversation started out alright, with the questions being about why I purchase a certain "vitamin enhanced" beverage over another.  I was asked if I believed in the claims touted by the beverage makers and I was asked if price and/or taste played a larger role in my purchasing decisions.  These were all good questions and I had no problem giving my honest opinion.  Then, the questions became quite condescending & confrontational & honestly, made me feel like I was some kind of irresponsible consumer.  At that very moment, I lost the desire to even speak with the person surveying me & even worse, I have a negative opinion of a product that I haven't even had a chance to try yet. Do you want to lose a customer before you have even had a chance to get them to try your product?  I would think not. 
Bottom line, even as business people, all customers are emotional human beings first.  The moment you make a potential customer feel like they've been attacked or "talked down to" is the very moment you just lost a business prospect. And in that same short period of time, you should realize that bad word of mouth travels so much faster than good word of mouth. Is that a chance you want to take? 
Choose your words carefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment